Web Developers integrate web-based applications into our platform for customers. From design, development, testing, deploying and maintaining up-to-date applications and services, they enable our business to deliver mission-critical communications solutions for customers.
What success looks like:
- Functionality: development releases will introduce new functionality that meets or exceeds customer requirements.
- Bug Free: the jobholder should strive to provide development releases with a low or with no bugs, helping to reduce follow up support time and improve customer satisfaction.
- On-time: development releases deliver sometimes critical services/functionality to customers and so meeting deadlines/time commitments is highly important.
- Design the architecture of new application components and achieve internal sign off for development specifications where required.
- Develop browser-based applications and features to meet customer/project requirements.
- Use the company’s chosen methodology/process eg Agile.
- Thoroughly test new features or developments to make sure they perform the desired task correctly in all cases. Test sites / applications in different browsers (versions), as necessary.
- Work with Quality Assurance teams/processes to validate builds ready for launch.
- Launch development projects, staying available to ensure success. Ensure all change processes are followed.
- Ensure appropriate documentation/updates are provided to relevant colleagues/customers.
Maintenance & improvement
- Problem solve and fix bugs as discovered/reported.
- Perform ongoing maintenance or upgrade of the platform as required, following internal change procedures at all times.
- Review colleagues’ code and work as required prior to changes.
- Build and maintain databases when relevant.
- Share ideas and work on projects for improving applications, process or the wider platform.
- Review projects/deployments and learn lessons to improve future performance.
- Design and pilot prototype applications where required.
- Stay up to date with trends and technological advancements in web development. Learn and test new technologies, frameworks and languages as relevant.
Education & Qualifications: Specialised/Technical
- 3x A-C Grade A levels or equivalent (essential)
- Bachelors Degree in a STEM, Computer Science or related subject (desirable)
- Good experience in SQL and using relation databases such as Microsoft SQL Server and PostGRES
- Experience in source control, in particular Git
- Experience working with an Agile environment, in particular Scrum, and applying supporting practices such as TDD (Test Driven Development).
- Knowledge and experience working to OWASP ASVS or equivalent application security standards.
- Experience in developing containerising applications with Docker and using orchestration such as Docker Swarm or Kubernetes.
- Experience in NoSQL databases such as ElasticSearch.
- Experience in using test tools such as Selenium Web Driver, SoapUI, Burp Suite
Skills / Aptitude:
- Good attention to detail
- Logical approach to problem solving
- Ability to manage complex tasks and meet deadlines
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, able to work in a team
- Able to understand the impact of functionality on customers/appreciate customer needs
Whilst rare, there could be occasional requirements in each development team to advise customers directly on technical or project details and so a willingness to do so and to visit customer sites may be required.
Salary: £20,000 / annually
Hours: 37.5, Monday to Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Location: Radius Court, Eastern Road, Bracknell, RG2 2UP
Apprenticeship: Software Developer L4