We are one of the world’s leading authorities on conflict and its impact on people’s lives – from 1914 through to the present day and beyond. Our collections are filled with personal stories and experiences, inspiring powerful and often conflicting emotions. We aim to share these stories with as many audiences as possible across the world in a way that engages and challenges them, increasing understanding of why we go to war and the effect that conflict has on people’s lives. In other words, we expect our stories to change the way people think about war.
We rely on our staff to help us achieve this aspiration. You should be able to demonstrate the skills and competencies set out below, but equally we are looking for people who believe in what we do and who we are, and can treat every colleague, customer or visitor with respect, courtesy and honesty. We expect our staff to work flexibly and with enthusiasm. These are the qualities that make IWM such an extraordinary place to work.
Purpose of the job
In this apprentice role at Imperial War Museums (IWM) you will gain the data handling, analytics and reporting skills to support the museums’ digital operations and help us make better business decisions and improve how we interact with our customers.
You will work in particular to support our digital engagement, customer relationship management (CRM) and e-commerce teams. You will gain skills through the apprenticeship programme, via training with our apprenticeship provider and through mentoring inside IWM. You will then use those skills to present and analyse data from a variety of sources and systems to help teams better understand their customers and users.
You will have good maths skills and must like working with data and have an analytical mindset. Through training and your work in the role you will collect, organise and study data. You will take raw data, for instance from digital analytics tools or our CRM system, and use it to show the organisation how people use our websites, and how they interact with us by email, mobile and in our museums.
Digital data analytics is a new function in IWM and you will grow your skills and knowledge at the same time as we grow this service inside the organisation.
Your duties will include:
- Identify, collect and present data from various systems to provide insight into how people use our digital channels and branches
- Supported by our external digital analytics consultant, assist in the production of performance dashboards and reports
- As your knowledge and skills grow independently produce similar dashboards
- Apply tools and techniques for data analysis, data visualisation and presentation
- Assist with the production of a range of standard and on-request data analysis reports, producing these independently as your skills and knowledge grow
- Summarise and present the results of data analysis to a range of stakeholders making recommendations to improve our digital performance, e-commerce performance or customer interactions
- Assist with data quality checking and cleansing
- Perform these duties in particular across the following systems and tools: Google Analytics, third party platforms such as e-commerce systems, our customer relationship management (CRM) system, and other databases in IWM where we hold customer data
This job description is not all encompassing. Over time the emphasis of the job may change without changing the general character of the job. Your duties may be reviewed from time to time and revised and updated in consultation with you to reflect appropriate changes.
- At least five GCSEs to grade C or above, including Maths
- Demonstrable maths and analytical ability
- Logical thinking skills, which can be used to understand business challenges and how data and insight can help tackle them
- Analytical and problem solving skills that enable you to analyse data and present it to colleagues to help them make sense of it
- A thorough and organised approach, to ensure you plan how to deliver your work
- Ability to work with a range of people
- Demonstrable drive to build a career in data and analytics
- Experience retrieving, analysing and presenting data, for instance in research projects, or from online sources like Google Analytics
- Understanding of the role of different digital systems such as customer relationship management (CRM) systems, content management systems (CMS) that store data
The benefits listed below are discretionary and IWM reserves the right, with due notice, to vary or withdraw them at any time. All such benefits apply during the course of your employment only.
- The annual leave allowance is 25 days per annum plus public holidays rising to 30 days after 5 years
- IWM is a member of the Civil Service Pension Scheme. Employer pension contributions to the civil service pension scheme vary but are normally between 16.7% – 24.3% dependent on salary and length of service.
- An interest free season ticket loan scheme after three months service.
- 20% discount in IWM’s shops.
- 25% discount in IWM’s cafes.
- Free entry to the majority of Airshows at IWM Duxford.
- Free entry to most fee charging exhibitions in other National Museums.
- Continuous professional Training & Development opportunities.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity benefits linked to length of service.
- Child care vouchers
- IWM staff are entitled to membership of the Benenden Healthcare Society (subject to their terms & conditions.
- IWM staff also have access to The Charity for Civil Servants.
- Ride 2 Work Scheme
What we offer
Duration: 18 months
Working week: 36 hours Monday – Friday
Role location: Lambeth Road, London, SE1 6HZ