About HM Treasury
The Treasury is the United Kingdom’s economics and finance ministry. It is responsible for formulating and implementing the government’s financial and economic policy. Its aim is to raise the rate of sustainable growth, and achieve rising prosperity and a better quality of life with economic and employment opportunities for all.
About the Group
The Finance Apprentice role sits in the People and Capability Team, within the Public Spending Group in HM Treasury. The role will work across both the People and Capability Team as well as the Strategy, Engagement and Performance (SEP) Team.
Public Spending Group
The Public Spending Group sits within the HM Treasury Finance Ministry and is responsible for:
- Setting the Government’s spending plans (spending reviews) and ensuring they are delivered;
- Reporting to the public and Parliament on public spending;
- Setting rules for budget management and the accounting framework;
- Setting policy on public sector pay and pensions;
- Driving up the capability of Government Finance and developing the management information, tools and frameworks to better understand and ensure value for money; and
- Working closely with the Cabinet Office to deliver the Efficiency Agenda.
About the Government Finance Function
The Government Finance Function ensures that finance is at the heart of decision making in Government – driving the agenda, not just keeping score.
The role of Government functions is to:
- Develop functional capacity and capability, by attracting, developing, training and retaining functional specialists across government;
- Drive functional excellence, by setting appropriately challenging standards for functional performance across government, supporting departments in meeting those standards over time;
- Deploy functional expertise, from the centre, from departments or from external sources to address critical issues; and
- De-risk functional delivery by focussing subject matter expertise on high risk areas, sharing good practice and insights on common or linked challenges, supporting departments in creating realistic execution plans for complex activities, and providing assurance.
The Government Finance Function centre exists to:
- Shape the business, communications and engagement strategy for the function;
- Drive cross-cutting functional transformation to ensure alignment to a common vision and strategy;
- Drive collaboration between departments, working across departmental boundaries to progress functional priorities;
- Provide clarity over functional leadership and decision making;
- Develop and manage a consistent view of functional performance;
- Set and embed functional standards; and
- Build capability and manage talent across the function.
About the Team
The role will be part of a wider team, implementing the People and Capability Strategy for the function. At the heart of this work is the need to build strong and diverse functional capacity and capability, by attracting, developing, training and retaining functional specialists across government.
Priorities for the People & Capability team include;
- Developing a robust and diverse talent pipeline to senior roles through a dynamic and engaging talent management strategy.
- Fostering a diverse and inclusive environment across the function.
- Supporting the functional transformation agenda.
- Leading the Government Finance Academy to provide the learning and development offer for the Government Finance Function.
- Oversight of the Finance Fast Stream and Fast Track Apprenticeships Schemes.
- Development and oversight of Government Finance Career Frameworks.
- Resourcing and strategic workforce planning to ensure succession plans are in place for the function’s pivotal roles.
Additionally, this role will interact closely with the Strategy, Engagement and Performance team that is at the forefront of shaping the objectives and priorities of the Government Finance Function and is responsible for connecting over 10,000 finance employees by building a common identity across the function.
- Support the development and implementation of the Government Finance Function’s performance framework to enable effective reporting and benchmarking.
- Collation and analysis of performance data from across the Government Finance Function, including reviewing and interpreting a wide range of financial metrics (resource, capital and other expenditure), comparing actuals to forecasts and budgets.
- Reporting of performance data, drawing out any emerging trends and supporting engagement with a wide range of stakeholders across the Government Finance Function.
- Management of the Government Finance Academy and Communications and Engagement budgets including all associated activity on invoicing and payments, liaising with other teams as necessary.
- Provide monthly financial information for managers on the latest budget expenditure and forecast, working with colleagues across teams to ensure it is accurate and up to date. This will include identifying and fixing any errors, working closely with the HM Treasury finance team.
- Analysis of Government Finance Academy data, including evaluation from learning and development events and surveys, providing summaries of key themes and comments to help inform future event planning.
- Supporting other administrative duties as required across the teams.
Candidates – Please note, you will be asked to give evidence in your application of how you meet these criteria.
Required Behaviours, Experience and Technical Skills:
- The ability to work effectively with others across the team and the wider department
- Comfortable working in a changeable environment, requiring a flexible and adaptable approach to changing work activities and priorities
- Ability to interpret and analyse financial information, summarising this clearly for senior stakeholders
The post will be based in London
Hours of work
This post is available on a full time, part time or job share basis, and flexible working hours can be accommodated.
The working hours of this post are 42 per week (including meal breaks of 1 hour a day) unless you have a legacy agreement as an existing Civil Servant.
- 25 days’ annual leave (rising to 30 after 5 years), plus 8 public holidays and the Queen’s birthday (unless you have a legacy arrangement as an existing Civil Servant)
- Flexible working patterns (part-time, job-share, condensed hours)
- Access to a generous Defined Benefit pension scheme with employer contributions. Find out more about Civil Service pensions
- Onsite restaurant and coffee bar. The London office also offers a gym, showers and prayer room
- Access to a cycle-to-work salary sacrifice scheme, season ticket advances and payroll giving
- Access to a retail discounts and cashback site
- A Rental Deposit Advance Scheme to help meet the total costs of deposits for privately rented homes
- A range of active staff networks, based around interests (e.g. analysts, music society, sports and social club) and diversity (e.g. women in the Treasury, ethnic minority network, LGBT* network, faith and belief network)
- •Any move across the Civil Service on or after 4 October 2018 may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
At the interview stage, applicants for this post will be assessed against the following elements of the Success Profiles recruitment framework.
- Seeing the big picture
- Communicating and influencing
- Working together
- Delivering at pace
The interview panel will ask you questions about what you enjoy doing and what you do well and often. When looking at your strengths, we want to find out whether you and the organisation and job are a good fit. By ensuring that the role is the right fit for you, you are more likely to enjoy it and perform well.
The interview panel will ask you questions about what you have previously achieved or your knowledge in a particular field. The questions will relate to the areas of work outlined in the ‘key accountabilities’ section above.
What we offer
Duration: 18 months
Working week: 42 hours Monday – Friday
Role location: 1 Horse Guards Road, Westminster, London, SW1A 2HQ