MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB:
To provide administrative support to the HR team and the Head of HR and Customer Services.
To carry out the key administrative functions of the recruitment process.
To follow administrative processes and procedures within the HR department and maintain records and filing systems.
To be responsible for carrying out the following in terms of the recruitment process:
- Administering the recruitment process, recording applicants details, sending out recruitment packs and downloading applications from Jobs Go Public
- Organising interviews and assisting with the administration of skills assessments
- Maintaining recruitment and equal opportunity information for monitoring purposes
- Preparing contracts of employment
- Undertaking pre-employment checks
- Sending out confirmation of appointment letters
- Setting up new starters in the manual filing system, on Frontier, Etarmis, the Proximity Card system and First Care
As well as…
- To assist the HR Administrator with Etarmis, monitor the system and make changes to hours. To correct errors and assist with data input when there is a bank holiday/early leave.
- To regularly monitor the following inboxes: HR, HR Training, Recruitment and Stars, forward emails to the appropriate officer.
- To assist with the organisation of training courses including issuing joining instructions, photocopying course material and booking rooms and facilities. Collating training evaluation forms and recording attendance on the HR & Payroll database.
- To assist with the e-learning site and cover the duties in the absence of the HR Administrator.
- To be responsible for setting up new posts on Frontier as part of the new starter process.
- To issue swipe/identity cards as required and keep the proximity card system up to date.
- To administer the confidential personal filing systems, ensuring document control is maintained and access is allowed in accordance with internal control systems. To be responsible for archiving leavers files.
- To provide clerical support to the Head of HR and Customer Services, in particular assisting with preparations for committees and hearings including the preparation of bundles of confidential documentation and the production of minutes where required.
- To be responsible for advising First Care of new starters
- To administer the exit interview process, sending out exit interview letters and forms and liaising with Human Resources Advisers to arrange interviews as necessary.
- To assist with initiatives associated with Health and Wellbeing (e.g. chair massages etc.)
- 5 GCSE’s, or equivalent, including English and maths
- Experience of a range of IT including Word, Excel, databases etc.
- An awareness of the importance of handling confidential information and maintaining records/document control.
- Customer Focus – Takes a customer service approach to service delivery
- Outcome-driven – Able to plan and prioritise to meet statutory and organisational deadlines
- Problem-solving and decision making – Takes a proactive approach to work, demonstrating initiative and using good judgment and takes ownership of problems
- Change & adaptability – Takes a positive attitude towards change and demonstrates a willingness to learn and take on new areas of work
- Communication – Able to effectively liaise with customers, colleagues, outside bodies and Councillors, in writing, by telephone and face to face
- Team working – Able to build effective, supportive working relationships, demonstrates a flexible approach to work, contributes positively within a team environment, willing to learn and assist other team members and able to self motivate and work with limited day to day supervision.
- Quality of work – produces work of high quality with good attention to detail and demonstrates accuracy, and a systematic and thorough approach to record keeping, document control and filing
- IT/technical skills – Able to use all Microsoft Office systems to a good standard
- Willingness to work outside normal office hours when required
- Presents a neat and tidy appearance
COMPLEXITY AND CREATIVITY
The post holder will be expected to perform a wide range of administrative duties, requiring the ability to plan and prioritise day to day work. They will need to develop an understanding of the key services provided by HR such as Recruitment, Learning & Development, Equal Opportunities and Employment Law so that they can refer customers to the appropriate officer.
The role involves the use of a ride variety of different types of IT packages, some of which are complex and require commitment and motivation to learn.
JUDGEMENT AND DECISIONS
This is a team working role and effective communication with officers and managers within the team is essential.
The post holder will need to be able to respond to the needs of managers and staff, particularly throughout the recruitment process. This will involve meeting the needs of internal customers while at the same time complying with the Council’s procedures. Failure to follow procedures or Equalities correctly can lead to tribunal claims which could impact on the reputation of the Council. The post holder will assist with the preparation of bundles of documents for hearings and this will require an attention to detail and accuracy.
Civic Offices, Elstree Way, Borehamwood, Herts, WD6 1WA