Main Purpose and Scope of the Job:
With over 35 years’ experience Pilgrims Hospices is East Kent’s largest hospice charity, providing support to the people of East Kent to live well in every moment, and have the ability to access the care and comfort they deserve, when and where they want it.
As an award winning department the function of the HR team is to support the workforce by aligning the right people to the right roles with the right values ensuring the delivery of improved quality of services and patient care, and the role of HR Administration Assistant is vital in proactively assisting with the development and achievement of both HR and organisational goals.
DETAILS OF THE POSITION:
Location: Pilgrims Hospices Canterbury, 56 London Rd, Canterbury, CT2 8JA.
DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Volunteer Services Administration
- Support the Volunteer Services & HR Manager in the development of volunteer services through a variety of administrative tasks.
- Publish volunteer vacancies on the Intranet, charity’s website and various social media platforms.
- Process Volunteer Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) applications, checking appropriate identity has been received, pass to an authorised counter signatory and add to the DBS spreadsheet, tracking applications as necessary.
- Act as a first point of contact for incoming communications providing excellence customer service on a range of HR queries, answering queries as appropriate and utilising systems and processes to support managers.
- Process the internal and external post and distribute accordingly
- Ensure that all confidential HR incoming enquiries are dealt with or allocated to the appropriate people in a timely manner.
- Use and update the computerised HR & Payroll systems as appropriate
- Provide HR administration support on all processes including taking notes at meetings and supporting at recruitment events as required.
- Arrange and participate in team meetings and activities.
- Support on the identification and development of opportunities to improve HR services, as well as support project work as required.
- Update and maintain the HR elements of the hospices’ website and intranet and publish employee vacancy adverts.
- Collation of applications and preparation of selection documentation for recruiting managers, ensuring arrangements are made for interviews as appropriate.
- Support in ensuring all pre-employment checks have been returned prior to employment commencing, including Eligibility Work in the UK, Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, references and supporting documents.
- Undertake general administrative duties including filing, photocopying, scanning; and
- Supporting managers with interviews as required.
- Provide administrative support to the Payroll function, including creating contract variation forms, leaver letters and updating employee records on the HR system accordingly.
- Ensuring fit notes are accurately recorded against employee absence records.
- Ensure prompt maintenance of staff records at all times including archiving and filing electronically and physically.
- Provide support to transactional payroll processes when required.
Corporate Governance –
The post holder must, at all times, act honestly and openly and comply with relevant corporate governance requirements, employment legislation and standards of business conduct.
Post holders are expected to be familiar with and comply with all policies and procedures published by Pilgrims Hospices in East Kent.
Health and Safety –
Under the Health & Safety at Work Act (1974), it is the responsibility of the post holder at every level to take care of his/her own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by his/her acts at work.
Data Protection –
Ensure that all data is processed in a fair and lawful way for the specific identified purpose, in line with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), national data protection legislation and Pilgrims Hospices’ Data Protection Policy. Data must not be disclosed in any manner which is incompatible with the purpose and to any unauthorised persons or organisations.
The post holder is expected to work flexibly to be able to meet the challenges and opportunities of working within Pilgrims Hospices in East Kent.
This Job Description is not exhaustive. This job description is a reflection of the current position and the post holder is expected to view it as a guide rather than an exact description of all duties and responsibilities. It may be subject to variation from time to time. The post holder will be required to undertake any other duties that may be required by the Line Manager, commensurate with the level of the post.
Desired Experience –
- Experience of working in an office environment
- Experience of working in HR would be beneficial
- A willingness to learn and develop new skills
- An ability to plan and organisation their work, often without direct supervision to meet KPIs and other team commitments.
- A good standard of written and verbal communication skills
- Organised and able to prioritise competing demands, meeting timescales as required
- Flexible approach to work
- Honest and reliable
- IT literate and confident in the use of common Microsoft Office products
- A positive, ‘can do’, attitude
- An ability to work well within a team and on own initiative
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- An ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- A good standard of secondary education, including a minimum of grade C in Maths and English GCSE’s