Data Scientist – OpenSignal
- Data and Technology
Who are Opensignal?
Opensignal, a mobile analytics company, is the global standard for measuring real-world mobile network experience. Using billions of measurements collected 24/7 from tens of millions of smartphones, we analyse real-world mobile network experience at the largest scale and frequency in the wireless industry. We believe measuring how the network performs directly through users’ eyes is key to building better wireless networks. Our insights are used across the industry by mobile operators, telecoms regulators, equipment manufacturers and analysts. We have done business across six continents and have driven press headlines in 80 countries, in an industry impacting the lives of billions around the world.
Founded in 2010, Opensignal is a high-growth global company harnessing the power of mobile technologies and big data analytics to redefine how the mobile industry measures network performance. We’re part of the Global Telecoms ‘Power 100’, TechCity Future Fifty, and backed by an impressive portfolio of investors.
We’re headquartered in London, UK, where you’ll find most of our employees, who we like to call ‘Opensignalers’, but the teams you’ll work with are global. A truly international team, we work across four continents, and represent over 25 nationalities.
Find out more by visiting our website
Purpose of the role
Opensignal’s business is built on data. As a member of the Data Science team, you will work in collaboration with our Engineering team to create, analyse, interpret and report on our Metrics to quantify the quality of mobile network operators around the globe.
The Data Science team are architects of numerous data-gathering and interpretation initiatives. For example, in the last year we released a mobile games experience metric, and previous years voice and video experience metrics – all firsts in the industry – and we continue to design new measurements that are key to analysing the experience of mobile customers, such as first to report actual 5G user’s speeds.
You will model scenarios for producing new metrics as driven by our Product team and business stakeholders. You will need to think carefully and laterally, examining possible solutions whilst questioning if there is a better way of doing things. It’s a process of iteration to get to the solution, in partnership with the wider technology teams.
Apart from designing new metrics, there is the work associated with collecting billions of data points every day, from our Apps and third-party Apps. A critical aspect of the team is to ascertain the quality of incoming data, understand likely causes of anomalies, build rules that sanitise the data, perform statistical analysis for our Marketing and Sales teams or external clients, and build tools that automate our Data Science analyses.
You will also get exposure to many other parts of the business, working closely with our Data Engineers, Android & iOS Engineers, QA Engineers and our Product and Program Management functions.
As a Data Scientist, you will be responsible for
- Creating big-data analyses that are developed into new metrics and dashboard analytics for our mobile network clients
- Designing and implementing internal dashboards and analytics that explain our metrics development and provide actionable insights for customers
- Translating business and customer requirements to data science analyses, and communicating these effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Creating ad-hoc or automated analyses and developing effective models to evaluate the quality and integrity of our data and client deliverables
- Evaluating the robustness of recommendations and reproducing analysis, to influence the direction of product development within cross-functional teams
- Working cross-functionally with Mobile, Engineering & Product members to create improvements in the tools and techniques to help scale our analyses
What we need from you
- A passion for data interrogation and analytics, with advanced modelling, coding and analysis skills entailed in the role.
- Commercial experience working as a Data Scientist or Data Analyst, ideally with client-facing exposure.
- Degree (or equivalent) in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or Economics
- Proficient using Python and/or R and SQL for the download, cleansing and analysis of data
- Proficient in coding and creating insightful analysis and charts communicated using Python or R notebooks
- Competence in Data Science reproducibility best practices
- Ideally experience in continuous integration and the full Data Science pipeline
- Knowledgeable on quantitative analysis techniques, e.g., descriptive and inferential statistics, parametric and non-parametric statistics, regression, clustering and pattern recognition
- Experience of working within an Agile environment, familiar with Agile methodology, working practices and ceremonies
- Comfortable collaborating within multidisciplinary teams, contributing to problem-solving sessions and actively seeking feedback
- Self-motivated, able to learn new techniques independently, make suggestions and research
- Curiosity and a desire to learn, a pre-requisite for the Data Science team
- Competent at describing the rationale and assumptions behind your work. We’re interested in the ‘why’ that sits behind the data product design, or analytical approach
- Comfortable and effective at working remotely.
What will you get in return?
- Competitive salary and stock options to share our growth
- Matched-contribution based pension scheme, company-wide bonus, private healthcare (including wellbeing subscriptions and discounted gym membership), cycle to work scheme
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities in your role and the ability to make an impact from day one
- £1,000 learning budget with access to a learning platform providing access to thousands of opportunities to spend it on – from conferences to books, courses and training, and regular ‘Opensessions’ (internal learning talks)
- Our ‘Opensignalers’ – an ambitious, focused and friendly team backed by some of Europe’s top investors
- 25 days holiday per year and generous flexible working culture
- Regular all-company events – from team lunches, to monthly HQ town halls and bi-annual away days)
- Due to the pandemic, we are working remotely, but do have an office space in Angel, London, available to use if needed. You will be supported to set up an effective home office environment.
- Data and Technology
Recent Fast Futures Jobs
- Marketing Intern - Contentive
- Data Science/Engineering Intern - Koodoo
- Recruitment Consultant - Trinnovo
- Digital Content Manager - Instrumental
- Sales Development Representative - Instrumental
- NHS Digital Careers Site
- NHS Careers Site
- Investment Analyst - Summer Internship 2021
- Communications Assistant - Summer Internship 2021
- Agency Payments Analyst - Summer Internship 2021
- PMO Support Officer - Agilisys
- Customer Service Representative - Hive Learning
- Digital Project Manager - Contentive
- Journalist - Contentive
- Sales Development Representative - Hive Learning
- Inside Sales Representative - Modulr