Food Waste Hero Support Intern – Olio
- Internship, Sustainability
SOLVING THE PROBLEM OF FOOD WASTE
OLIO is the world’s only neighbour-to-neighbour food sharing app, and our mission is to solve the problem of food waste in the home & local community. We do this by connecting anyone with spare food – which can be households or local businesses – with neighbours living nearby who would like it. Globally, over one third of all the food we produce gets thrown away, which is worth over $1 trillion. What few people realise however is that in the developed world, over half of all food waste takes place in the home, with the average UK family throwing away £800 of food each year – collectively adding up to £15bn. OLIO solves this with our award-winning mobile & web apps.
Over the past 4 years OLIO has grown from a local initiative in North London to a global movement. We now have 1.3 million users who have together shared well over 2.3 million portions of food– with food being successfully shared in 49 countries and counting. Underpinning this incredible growth has been our Food Waste Heroes programme, with over 5,000 registered Food Waste Hero users who rescue food from local businesses, take it home and shared it with their neighbours via the OLIO app. OLIO is now looking for an intern to join the core team as we embark upon the next exciting phase in our journey.
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY – REMOTELY or LONDON, UK
To support the OLIO team and OLIO Food Waste Heroes, we are recruiting for a Food Waste Hero Support intern.
You will report into Anna Lopez-Fujimaki, Food Waste Hero Supply & Support Associate.
The Food Waste Heroes (FWHs) programme involves OLIO matching small groups of waste-busting volunteers with their local street food market, farmers’ market, shop, café, bakery, deli, greengrocer, hotel or restaurant.
Once matched, the FWHs provide a service by collecting any unsold surplus food at the end of the day. Food Waste Heroes then use the OLIO app to re-distribute the saved food within their local community.
In this role you will be responsible for
- Supporting the OLIO Food Waste Hero Community on a broad range of topics (sharing on OLIO, food safety, Food Waste Hero registration and training, reaching out to local businesses) via a broad variety of channels (social media, email, customer service software, WhatsApp, telephone)
- Supporting the OLIO Food Waste Hero team with admin tasks as needed, such as registering participating food businesses on the OLIO systems and ensuring compliance with OLIO’s policies
- Responding to volunteers’ emails using HelpScout (customer service software)
- Stepping in to rescue and redistribute food to the local community (London only, if London-based) as and when needed to stop good food from going to waste and to maintain food business donor relations
- All of our roles are remote working roles, however for London based team members there is the ability to co-work as well. We live for our mission, but like to have fun along the way!
IS THIS YOU?
Our ideal internship candidate will first and foremost be as passionate about our mission as we are! In addition to this, you will have the following experience and skills:
• Projects, university or voluntary work in the field of social good or environmentalism
• A high level of organisational skills and attention to detail
• Articulate and extroverted, with the ability to explain things in simple terms
• Confident working with people from all walks of life
And all OLIO team members share these attributes:
o A self-starter with a ‘can-do’ attitude
o Resourceful and creative
o Thorough, but able to move quickly and decisively
o A ruthless ability to prioritise
o Excellent communication skills
o Fun to work with ☺
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and covering email explaining why you are the right person for this role to
email@example.com with subject line – Application: Food Waste Hero intern
PLEASE NOTE: This is an unpaid internship for fully enrolled university students who want to put theory into
practice and see the inside of a fast-growing start-up. The applicant must have the right to work in the UK.
- Internship, Sustainability
Recent Fast Futures Jobs
- Marketing Intern - Contentive
- Data Science/Engineering Intern - Koodoo
- Recruitment Consultant - Trinnovo
- Digital Content Manager - Instrumental
- Sales Development Representative - Instrumental
- NHS Digital Careers Site
- NHS Careers Site
- Investment Analyst - Summer Internship 2021
- Communications Assistant - Summer Internship 2021
- Agency Payments Analyst - Summer Internship 2021
- PMO Support Officer - Agilisys
- Customer Service Representative - Hive Learning
- Digital Project Manager - Contentive
- Journalist - Contentive
- Sales Development Representative - Hive Learning
- Inside Sales Representative - Modulr