Investment Analyst – Summer Internship 2021
Legal and General
- Finance and Accounting
- £12.50 an hour
- Closing Date:
As a company, to be one of the world’s largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we’re a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term – for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we’re committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it. So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we’d love to hear from you.
Legal & General Capital is the principal investment arm of the Legal & General Group. Investing from Legal & General’s c. £8bn shareholder balance sheet, Legal & General Capital’s purpose is to generate long-term shareholder value with a major focus on residential housing, investment in future cities (including large scale urban regeneration and clean energy) and venture capital to support the continuing development of the UK’s cities. We aim to invest for the long term in economically and socially useful assets, to secure competitive returns and to create new asset classes for Legal & General’s varied investment requirements, for our partners and for the wider marketplace. We create real partnerships between the public sector and institutional investors to boost investment, accelerate housing delivery, create local jobs and support local businesses with a positive socioeconomic impact on regions and communities.
Are you looking for a summer internship that is technically challenging? One that develops commercial acumen alongside your technical skills?
We’re looking for undergraduates who can answer “yes” to the above for our 2021 Investment Summer Internship Scheme. If you’re successful, you’ll join Legal & General’s well-regarded investment community, which plays a pivotal role in our continued success.
Investment is central to ensuring a profitable, well run insurance business and your work will support the success of a FTSE 100 company.
Some of the day-to-day activities could include:
If you’re successful you’ll join one of the investments teams, and depending on what team you join you could be involved in:
Work across Legal & General Capital in the Direct Investment (DI) Portfolio, providing support for all teams in day-to-day analysis of the businesses, monitoring of existing investments and contributing towards acquisitions, due diligence and investment strategy.
- The role holder will be expected to prepare / attend site visits and stakeholder meetings, including writing up minutes to ensure follow-up action points are undertaken. In order to provide clear communication to internal / external stakeholders, the Analyst will be expected to assist the team(s) with regular reporting requirements, including creating / maintaining monitoring dashboards and other valuation models.
- Assist the team with the investment process by co-ordinating information, producing pitch books, scoping documents and other presentation materials, regular reporting requirement and – in time – taking ownership of projects. This to ensure that the team can deliver the best possible outcomes in pitches and everyday business, with up to date information clearly presented.
- Collate information regarding relationships with LGC’s external stakeholders, conduct sector research into competitor / potential partners and attend relevant presentations, feeding back key findings to the wider team. This is to ensure that the team keeps abreast of market trends in order to optimise the business plan and future strategy.
- Work with the Finance team and other internal stakeholders to ensure data and information is accurate, of appropriate quality and produced on time. Develop ability to build up and interpret excel appraisal / valuation models from scratch. The accurate and timely production / interpretation of data is vital in order to ascertain how the portfolio is performing.
- Alongside technical skills, develop deeper understanding of investment strategy and portfolio management theory, using both these skill sets to produce scoping / board papers as guided by the Investment Managers to develop core modelling skills to support Investment Committee materials. This is in order to support the business plan.
- Contribute towards and lead smaller-scale, discrete projects autonomously, using initiative to tackle problems as they arise and deliver high-quality outputs on time. This is to assist with the workload of senior team members and develop the appropriate skills for future leadership.
- Support investment analysts / managers across LGC as required and manage workload to ensure that quality does not drop.
- Ensure professional conduct at all times, ensure that learnings on regulatory / compliance matters are up to date and that principles of Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) applied at all times
First and foremost, we’re looking for people with an inquisitive mind and a desire to learn. We’re not expecting prior industry experience, but we’ll want to see that you have the tools to develop quickly. These include:
- On track for a 2.1 degree in any subject
- An A* in A-Level in Maths is essential
- Analytical mind-set, with a high level of numeracy
- Great communication skills
- Flexible and a team-player
- High levels of interest, dynamism and commitment
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise effectively
- An interest in the build environment, sustainability and clean energy
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with Word, Excel and Power point
- Demonstrates an interest to learn and progress, increase their profile within LGC, the wider Group and externally, including building an external network of contacts and stakeholders
- Willingness to evolve their understanding of different functions and the investment objectives of LGC business lines and wider Group divisions
- Working knowledge of cash flow and appraisal models, including building new models from scratch and evolving existing models
**whilst we have an A-Level (or equivalent) requirement of a ‘A’ in Mathematics for our programme, we will consider applicants who may have achieved this on a contextual basis. This means that we understand that for some people there were socio-economic factors that affected their ability to achieve the grades we require. Therefore if you have a B please feel free to apply.
Legal and General
- Finance and Accounting
- £12.50 an hour
- Closing Date:
Recent Fast Futures Jobs
- Project Support Executive at Blenheim Chalcot
- Marketing Intern - Contentive
- Data Science/Engineering Intern - Koodoo
- Recruitment Consultant - Trinnovo
- Digital Content Manager - Instrumental
- Sales Development Representative - Instrumental
- NHS Digital Careers Site
- NHS Careers Site
- Communications Assistant - Summer Internship 2021
- Agency Payments Analyst - Summer Internship 2021
- PMO Support Officer - Agilisys
- Customer Service Representative - Hive Learning
- Digital Project Manager - Contentive
- Journalist - Contentive
- Sales Development Representative - Hive Learning
- Inside Sales Representative - Modulr