Complete your AAT pathway with the AAT Level 2, 3 & 4 course
AAT accounting courses offer you an accredited route into accountancy if you have little or no experience. Choosing an online training course in accounting allows you to gain a professional qualification from home and around your current commitments.
If you’re starting out on a career in accountancy and are fully committed to developing your career and completing the AAT pathway, the AAT Level 2, 3 & 4 Diploma will teach you everything from the basics to advanced accounting concepts. Taking your AAT Level 2, 3 & 4 online with us will make you eligible for AAT Full Membership, as a well as a host of accounting roles, including those with management aspects. And if you want to push your career even further, completing the AAT Level 2, 3 & 4
*Book your AAT Accounting Qualification and spread the cost over 12, 18 or 24 monthly payments, interest-free. Representative example for AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting: Loan £875.50 over 12 months with 12 monthly payments of £72.96. The total amount repayable will be £945 which includes a deposit of £69.50. Click here for more representative examples and for full terms and conditions.
Get AAT qualified with learning that works from AVADO
At AVADO, we create inspiring learning experiences that are all about your success. With our 26 years’ experience and exceptional AAT pass rates, an AAT course with us gives you the best chance to pass
Great teachers and inspiring content
Your own dedicated tutor, hand-picked for their expertise, is available by phone or email. Access a range of engaging content including videos, quizzes and live classes.
Support every step of the way as you learn with others
Your tutor and community team are here for you whenever you need them. And, because you learn online with other students, you’ll never be short of inspiration and motivation!
An online platform built around you
Designed to work on your mobile and featuring bite-sized content so that you can learn as you go. Learn at your own pace but with structured milestones to keep you on track.
Affordable price plans
Payment packages to suit your budget with a flexible range of monthly instalment options.
An award-winning provider you can trust
Winner of two AAT 2016 Awards including Best Use of E-learning and PQ Magazine Editor’s Choice Award 2017.
With 6,000 AAT students qualifying with us each year, we know this is learning that works. Enquire now to find out how it can work for you.
The AAT Level 2, 3 & 4 course will take you right the way through the AAT pathway, starting out with accounting basics and progressing to advanced, specialist subjects. Topics covered include double-entry bookkeeping, accounts preparation, and drafting financial statements.
We translate the syllabus that the AAT sets into a combination of activities, classes, and other content to ensure you get the best learning experience possible.
This combined course covers twenty units, of which seventeen must be completed: five in Level 2, six in Level 3, and nine in Level 4.
The AAT Level 2 qualification consists of five units:
1. Bookkeeping Transactions
Review double-entry processes and business documentation, trial balances, the cashbook, reconciling a supplier’s statement, discounted transactions and payment records.
2. Bookkeeping Controls
Be able to prepare control accounts, use journals, understand the banking system, and manage cash books, petty cash and control accounts.
3. Elements of Costing
Learn how to calculate product costs and budget effectively using spreadsheets including cost behaviour, manufacturing accounts, labour costing, product coding and costing for inventories.
4. Using Accounting Software
Develop the skills needed to professionally process transactions using computerised accounting software, learn how to effectively set up a company, create customer and supplier records, manage ledgers, enter sales and purchase transactions, and understanding banking receipts and payments.
5. Work Effectively in Finance
Discover how to work effectively within an accounting team, complete accounting and payroll functions, learn about professional ethics and understand key business skills such as managing workload, personal development and literacy and numeracy skills
The AAT Level 3 qualification consists of six units:
1. Advanced Bookkeeping
Be able to use a sub-divided accounting system to prepare trial balances and reconciliations, comprise the valuation of inventory, prepare accounts for irrecoverable debts and understand the disposal of non-current assets.
2. Final Accounts Preparation
Learn how to prepare accounts for different business types, record changes in the structure of a partnership and prepare final accounts from incomplete records.
3. Indirect Tax
Discover further elements to VAT legislation governing costs and learn how to prepare a VAT tax return.
4. Management Accounting: Costing
Be able to prepare budget accounts for company costs (materials, labour and expenses) and learn how to forecast for company revenues considering break-even and limiting factors.
5. Ethics for Accountants
Discover more about the ethical guidelines within accounting and the legal considerations that apply to members in practice.
6. Spreadsheets for Accounting
Learn how to create advanced spreadsheets for accounting using appropriate formulas and formatting.
The AAT Level 4 qualification consists of nine units, of which you must complete six:
1. Management Accounting: Budgeting
Develop your skills working with budgetary control systems and learn how to create advanced budget reports to account for flexible budgeting and variances.
2. Management Accounting: Decision and Control
Be able to analyse performance based on a number of variable scenarios (materials, labour and overhead costs) and reconcile budgeted cost with actual cost.
3. Financial Statements of Limited Companies
Learn how to prepare robust financial statements in published format that adhere to regulatory frameworks and discover how to work with group accounts.
4. Accounting Systems and Controls
Learn how to professionally develop and manage a company’s accounting system by analysing current systems and recommending improvements.
Optional units, pick two out of five:
- Personal Tax - Learn how to successfully process employee tax.
- Business Tax - Become familiar with the nuances of business taxes.
- Cash and Treasury Management - Learn about cash flow patterns and forecasting future payments.
- Credit Management - Enhance your knowledge about company liquidity and credit control.
- External Auditing - Understand how the audit process works and learn how to contribute to the examination when one is conducted.
During the course you will take sixteen exams: thirteen computer-based assessments and three synoptic exams, which will all be held at an approved exam centre.
The AAT introduced synoptic exams last year as part of their new syllabus; designed to test your knowledge across all the units in a qualification. Our programme has been designed with these synoptic assessments in mind so you know you’ll be fully prepared before you sit them. Along with advice from your tutor, you can decide when you’re ready to take your exams.
Key course information:
- Accredited by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
- Level 4 qualification – equivalent to a Foundation Degree or Higher National Diploma.
- Thirteen computer-based exams and three synoptic assessments, all taken at an external test centre
- Typically complete within 36 months
Your course includes everything you need to succeed:
- 24-hour access to your online campus, accessible on mobile and tablet
- Twenty online units and a hard copy book to support each one
- Dedicated tutor and community team to support you throughout the course
- Regular online live classes with your tutor and classmates
- Revision classes, assignment marking and feedback to help you improve
- Free access to AVADO’s premium Career Development Hub
- Free NUS card – the definitive student discount card with a range of exclusive discounts
We believe you shouldn’t have to pay extra essentials like revision and assignment marking. That’s why we include everything above in the price. The only additional costs are your AAT membership and exam fees, which you are required to pay directly to the AAT.
As this combined course begins at the foundation level there are no formal academic or work experience requirements. A basic qualification in mathematics or
The following entry requirements also apply:
- You must be over the age of 18 or have a third-party payee for any financial agreement
- You must have a solid grasp of the English language (IELTS 5.5 or equivalent if English is not your first language)
- You must have access to a computer or other internet enabled device and a reliable Internet connection, plus basic computer skills
- You must be able to attend all exams at a UK based AAT Approved
centre. Students outside the UK will incur an additional cost for international postage of textbooks.
AAT Level 2, 3 & 4 will allow you to quickly progress through the entire AAT pathway, developing your skills from foundation to professional level. Being able to show on your CV that you have completed the entire AAT pathway will not only demonstrate your
Once you have completed the full pathway you will be eligible to become an AAT Full Member. This means you can use the letters “MAAT” after your name and stand out to employers even more.
Although the AAT offer no further accounting courses after Level 4, this qualification is a perfect starting point for progressing to chartered accountant status. Having this qualification will grant you exemptions from the early papers of the ACCA qualification, meaning you’ll have already taken the first steps towards the next stage of your career.
Here are a couple of roles you’ll be eligible for after gaining this qualification:
|Accounts Manager||Commercial Analyst|
*Average UK salary data from Totaljobs Salary Checker, April 2017
All our AAT courses are delivered through our award-winning Virtual Learning Campus (VLC). The VLC is an online learning platform that houses all your learning materials in one easy-to-access place. The VLC is designed for use on all internet-enabled devices, so you can study on your mobile or tablet anytime, wherever you are.
Your VLC features:
- Inspiring bite-size learning content, including videos and quizzes
- Frequent live online classes with your tutor, tailored to your group’s needs and recorded so you can catch up whenever you like
- Learn as a group, with structured milestones to keep you on track
- Regular learning checks and practice tests so you know how you are progressing
- Proactive tutor support – monitoring your progress and reaching out if you need support
Want to see for yourself? Check out the video below for a guided tour of the AAT campus:
The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) are the UK’s leading professional body for Accounting and Finance employees and a globally
AAT Accounting qualifications are highly valued by employers, as they demonstrate that you have practical skills that you’ll need to manage cash flow, budgets, and finances effectively, as well as the commitment and dedication to succeed in an accountancy role.
Once you complete the Level 4 AAT qualification you can become a full AAT Member and put the letters MAAT after your name, giving you professional recognition of your qualifications.
All our AAT courses have rich assets including videos, animations and recorded lessons. See below for an example of a recorded lesson on Financial Statements which you can watch here for free.