Take the next step in your accounting career with the AAT Level 2 & 3 course
Get up to 20% off selected AAT courses – Enrol in September and get qualified for less!* Fill in the form now for more details.
AAT accounting courses offer you an accredited route into accountancy if you have little or no experience. Choosing an online training course in accounting allows you to gain a professional qualification from home and around your current commitments.
If you are a beginner looking to quickly advance your accounting career, our AAT Level 2 & 3 online
All our AAT courses now come with a free Xero Advisor Certification short course. Learn the basics of this industry-leading online accounting software and improve your employability even further. Our AAT Level 2 course also now exclusively comes with a free Xero Accelerate add-on to the "Using Accounting Software" unit, letting you apply your learnings within Xero itself. With a 61% increase in the past year of accountancy job listings on reed.co.uk requiring knowledge of Xero in the specification, you can get ahead of the competition with this bonus qualification!
*For full terms and conditions of all offers please click here.
Get AAT qualified with learning that works from AVADO
At AVADO, we create inspiring learning experiences that are all about your success. With our 26 years’ experience and exceptional AAT pass rates, an AAT course with us gives you the best chance to pass
Great teachers and inspiring content
Your own dedicated tutor, hand-picked for their expertise, is available by phone or email. Access a range of engaging content including videos, quizzes and live classes.
Support every step of the way as you learn with others
Your tutor and community team are here for you whenever you need them. And, because you learn online with other students, you’ll never be short of inspiration and motivation!
An online platform built around you
Designed to work on your mobile and featuring bite-sized content so that you can learn as you go. Learn at your own pace but with structured milestones to keep you on track.
Affordable price plans
Payment packages to suit your budget with a flexible range of monthly instalment options.
An award-winning provider you can trust
Winner of two AAT 2016 Awards including Best Use of E-learning and PQ Magazine Editor’s Choice Award 2017.
With 6,000 AAT students qualifying with us each year, we know this is learning that works. Enquire now to find out how it can work for you.
The AAT combined Level 2 & 3 course will give you a strong foundation of basic accounting skills before building on it with more advanced and specialist areas. Topics covered include basic costing principles, as well as costs and revenues.
We translate the syllabus that the AAT sets into a combination of activities, classes, and other content to ensure you get the best learning experience possible.
The course covers a total of eleven units: five from Level 2 and six from Level 3.
The AAT Level 2 Qualification consists of five units:
1. Bookkeeping Transactions
Review double-entry processes and business documentation, trial balances, the cashbook, reconciling a supplier’s statement, discounted transactions and payment records.
2. Bookkeeping Controls
Learn to prepare control accounts, use journals, understand the banking system, and manage cash books, petty cash and control accounts.
3. Elements of Costing
Learn how to calculate product costs and budget effectively using spreadsheets including cost behaviour, manufacturing accounts, labour costing, product coding and costing for inventories.
4. Using Accounting Software
Develop the skills needed to professionally process transactions using computerised accounting software, learn how to effectively set up a company, create customer and supplier records, manage ledgers, enter sales and purchase transactions, and understanding banking receipts and payments.
AVADO students now have exclusive access to our free Xero Accelerate add-on to the Using Accounting Software unit. Revisit the case studies and apply your new skills within Xero's online accounting software and future-proof your knowledge.
5. Work Effectively in Finance
Discover how to work effectively within an accounting team, complete accounting and payroll functions, learn about professional ethics and understand key business skills such as managing workload, personal development and literacy and numeracy skills
The AAT Level 3 qualification consists of six units:
1. Advanced Bookkeeping
Be able to use a sub-divided accounting system to prepare trial balances and reconciliations, comprise the valuation of inventory, prepare accounts for irrecoverable debts and understand the disposal of non-current assets.
2. Final Accounts Preparation
Learn how to prepare accounts for different business types, record changes in the structure of a partnership and prepare final accounts from incomplete records.
3. Indirect Tax
Discover further elements to VAT legislation governing costs and learn how to prepare a VAT tax return.
4. Management Accounting: Costing
Be able to prepare budget accounts for company costs (materials, labour and expenses) and learn how to forecast for company revenues considering break-even and limiting factors.
5. Ethics for Accountants
Discover more about the ethical guidelines within
6. Spreadsheets for Accounting
Learn how to create advanced spreadsheets for accounting using appropriate formulas and formatting.
Also included in your course is a free Xero Advisor Certification short course. You will learn the basics of using Xero's cloud-based accounting software, giving your CV another edge in a competitive job market.
Our programme has been designed with these synoptic assessments in mind so you know you’ll be fully prepared before you sit them. Along with advice from your tutor, you can decide when you’re ready to take your exams. In fact we're so confident that we offer you a Pass Guarantee: follow the milestones on the campus and if you don't pass your synoptic exam first-time we'll give you free tutor support for a resit.*
Key course information:
- Accredited by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
- Level 3 qualification - comparable to an A-level qualification
- Eight computer-based exams and two synoptic assessments, all taken at an external test centre
- Typically complete within 21 months
- Free Xero Advisor certification and Xero Accelerate course add-on
Your course includes everything you need to succeed:
- 24-hour access to your online campus, accessible on mobile and tablet
- Eleven online units with a hard copy book to support each one
- Sage One Accounts Extra Software accessed online for the Using Accounting Software unit
- Exclusive Xero Accelerate add-on for the Using Accounting Software unit
- Xero Advisor certification short course for learning the basics of Xero online accounting software
- Dedicated tutor and community team to support you throughout the course
- Regular online live classes with your tutor and classmates
- Revision classes, assignment marking and feedback to help you improve
- Pass Guarantee – hit the milestones and get free tutor support for a resit if you don't pass a synoptic exam first-time*
- Free access to AVADO’s premium Career Development Hub
- Free NUS card – the definitive student discount card with a range of exclusive discounts
We believe you shouldn’t have to pay extra essentials like revision and assignment marking. That’s why we include everything above in the price. The only additional costs are your AAT membership and exam fees, which you are required to pay directly to the AAT.
As this combined course begins at the foundation level there are no formal academic or work experience requirements. A basic qualification in mathematics or
The following entry requirements also apply:
- You must be over the age of 18 or have a third-party payee for any financial agreement
- You must have a solid grasp of the English language (IELTS 5.5 or equivalent if English is not your first language)
- You must have access to a computer or other internet enabled device and a reliable Internet connection, plus basic computer skills
- You must be able to attend all exams at an AAT Approved centre
. Students outside the UK will incur an additional cost for international postage of textbooks
AAT Level 2 & 3 Advanced Diploma will develop your accounting career by teaching you basic principles and then rapidly
The next step in the full AAT pathway is the Professional Diploma in Accounting (Level 4), the final qualification in the series. Once you complete the full pathway, you will have in-depth knowledge of advanced accounting processes and will also be eligible to become an AAT Full Member (MAAT).
Here are a couple of roles you’ll be eligible for after gaining this qualification:
|Finance Officer||Assistant Accountant|
*Average UK salary data from Totaljobs Salary Checker, April 2017
All our AAT courses are delivered through our award-winning Virtual Learning Campus (VLC). The VLC is an online learning platform that houses all your learning materials in one easy-to-access place. The VLC is designed for use on all internet-enabled devices, so you can study on your mobile or tablet anytime, wherever you are.
Your VLC features:
- Inspiring bite-size learning content, including videos and quizzes
- Frequent live online classes with your tutor, tailored to your group’s needs and recorded so you can catch up whenever you like
- Learn as a group, with structured milestones to keep you on track
- Regular learning checks and practice tests so you know how you are progressing
- Proactive tutor support – monitoring your progress and reaching out if you need support
Want to see for yourself? Check out the video below for a guided tour of the AAT campus:
The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) are the UK’s leading professional body for Accounting and Finance employees and a globally recognised accrediting body for accounting qualifications with over 125,000 members worldwide.
AAT Accounting qualifications are highly valued by employers, as they demonstrate that you have practical skills that you’ll need to manage cash flow, budgets, and finances effectively, as well as the commitment and dedication to succeed in an accountancy role.
Once you complete the Level 4 AAT qualification you can become a full AAT Member and put the letters MAAT after your name, giving you professional recognition of your qualifications.
All our AAT courses have rich assets including videos, animations and recorded lessons. See below for an example of a recorded lesson on Financial Statements which you can watch here for free.