AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting (Level 4)
Complete the AAT pathway’s final level and start to specialise with optional units
Complete your AAT pathway with the AAT Level 4 course
This course is the final step in finishing the entire AAT qualification and becoming eligible for Full AAT Membership Status. Study four compulsory and two optional units that will prepare you for more specialised accounting roles with greater levels of responsibility.
Who is it for? AAT Level 3 graduates looking to complete the AAT pathway or experienced professionals.
Qualification: AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting (Level 4)
Location: Online Learning
Tutoring: 24 months
Typical duration: 19 months
What is the AAT Level 4 course?
If you’re aiming to push your accounting career to new heights, the AAT Level 4 Diploma will enable you to complete the full AAT pathway. This is the final course you need to take in order to become eligible for Full AAT Membership.
Like all our AAT qualifications, this course is studied online via our Virtual Learning Campus (VLC). This is available on any internet device, including your mobile, so you can study on-the-go. You’ll receive proactive tutor support, meaning there’s someone to reach out to should you have any questions. You’ll also be able to post on the campus forums and be part of a learning community with your fellow students.
This course includes:
- Six online units and a hard copy book to accompany each one
- 24-hour access to the VLC
- A Xero Advisor certification short course for learning the basics of Xero online accounting software
- Regular online live classes with dedicated tutors and classmates
- Pass Guarantee – hit the milestones and get free tutor support for a resit if you don’t pass a synoptic exam first-time*
- Free TOTUM card – the definitive student discount card with a range of exclusive discounts
Everything above is included in the course price, the only additional costs are your AAT membership and exam fees, which you are required to pay directly to the AAT.
*Click here for full terms and conditions.
Studying with AVADO
AVADO has earnt an excellent reputation by providing award-winning learning for the past 26 years. This is why it was awarded Distance Learning Provider of the Year at the AAT Training Provider Awards 2018.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
For the AAT Level 4 qualification, you should have already completed the AAT Level 3 course or have completed a degree in Accounting and Finance.
Exceptions can occasionally be made for those that have other equivalent Level 3 qualifications, as long as they are currently employed in an accounting role. If you are unsure which level is right for you, the AAT offer a Skillcheck test.
If you have not yet completed the AAT Level 3 course, you might be tempted to do our AAT Level 3 & 4 course which combines both courses into one 36-month programme.
The following entry requirements are also essential for every AAT course:
- You must 18 or over, or have a third-party payee for any financial agreement
- You must have access to a computer and the internet
- You must be able to attend all exams at an AAT Approved centre. Students outside the UK will incur an additional cost for international postage of textbooks
- You must have a good understanding of the English language (IELTS 5.5 or equivalent if English is not your first language)
What are my career options after the AAT Level 4 qualification?
AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma will advance your accounting career even further by teaching you more complex and advanced accounting skills, as well as giving you the opportunity to differentiate yourself by gaining specialist knowledge through the optional units. Being able to show on your CV that you have completed the entire AAT pathway will not only demonstrate your skills, but will also show you have dedication and a great work ethic.
Once you have completed the full pathway you will be eligible to become an AAT Full Member. You’ll be eligible for roles such as Accounts Manager, or Commercial Analyst, both of which earn £30-40,000, based on Average UK salary data on Totaljobs Salary Checker.
If you want to take your accountancy career even further, AAT Level 4 will also grant you exemptions from several qualifications that will allow you to become a Chartered Accountant.
To find out more about this course, fill in the form at the top of the page to receive a free brochure.
Syllabus for the AAT Level 4 course
The AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting (Level 4) will complete your AAT training by teaching you advanced accounting skills and preparing you to take on management roles. You will also be able to specialise in areas that interest you most with two optional units. Topics covered include evaluating financial performance and drafting financial statements.
We translate the syllabus that the AAT sets into a combination of activities, classes, and other content to ensure you get the best learning experience possible.
The AAT Level 4 qualification consists of six units in total, four compulsory and two optional units selected from a choice of five.
AAT Accountancy Level 4 Compulsory Units:
Management Accounting: Budgeting
- Develop your skills working with budgetary control systems and learn how to create advanced budget reports to account for flexible budgeting and variances.
Management Accounting: Decision and Control
- Be able to analyse performance based on a number of variable scenarios (materials, labour and overhead costs) and reconcile budgeted cost with actual cost.
Financial Statements of Limited Companies
- Learn how to prepare robust financial statements in published format that adhere to regulatory frameworks and discover how to work with group accounts.
Accounting Systems and Controls
- Learn how to professionally develop and manage a company’s accounting system by analysing current systems and recommending improvements.
AAT Accountancy Level 4 Optional Units
Choose two out of the following optional modules:
- Personal Tax – Learn how to successfully process employee tax.
- Business Tax – Become familiar with the nuances of business taxes.
- Cash and Treasury Management – Learn about cash flow patterns and forecasting future payments.
- Credit Management – Enhance your knowledge about company liquidity and credit control.
- External Auditing – Understand how the audit process works and learn how to contribute to the examination when one is conducted.
Also included in your course is a free Xero Advisor Certification short course. You will learn the basics of using Xero’s cloud-based accounting software, giving your CV another edge in a competitive job market.
During the course, you will take six exams: five computer-based assessments and one synoptic exam, which will all be held at an approved exam centre.
The AAT introduced synoptic exams last year as part of their new syllabus; designed to test your knowledge across all the units in a qualification. Our programme has been designed with these synoptic assessments in mind so you know you’ll be fully prepared before you sit them.
Along with advice from your tutor, you can decide when you’re ready to take your exams. In fact we’re so confident that we offer you a Pass Guarantee: follow the milestones on the campus and if you don’t pass your synoptic exam first-time we’ll give you free tutor support for a resit.*
Key course information:
- Accredited by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
- Level 4 qualification – equivalent to a Foundation Degree or Higher National Diploma.
- Five computer-based exams and one synoptic assessment, all taken at an external test centre
- Typically complete within 15 months
- Free Xero Advisor certification
If you are funding your own studies, you can pay in full immediately or split your course fees over two or three instalments at no extra charge.
We can now offer you 0% finance on payment plans of up to 12 months, letting you spread the cost of your course without incurring any additional charges.*
You can also apply for our 24, 36, or 48-month payment plans offered by our finance provider Omni Capital*, with representative APR 12.9%. Take a look at a representative APR Example or enquire now and speak to one of our Course Advisors.
We can also work with you to build a business case to apply for employer funding and can even speak to your company directly if you’d like. For more information, give one of our Course Advisors a call.
*Click here for more representative examples and for full terms and conditions.
“AVADO take the “distant” out of distance learning. They provide high levels of support and receive strong student engagement as a result, while they encourage progression through the entire AAT qualification.”
Nicky Fisher, AAT Past President
“This course has that structure and pace that is manageable and most importantly keeps me constantly engaged. I like that you can easily contact the tutor by phone or email and talk to classmates on the student forum giving each other tips and encouraging each other to push through.”
Sarah Eve Tucker, AAT Graduate