Reach your potential as a qualified Bookkeeper with the AAT Bookkeeping Level 3 course
AAT Bookkeeping courses offer you an accredited route into bookkeeping if you have little or no experience. Choosing online bookkeeping training allows you to gain a professional qualification from home and around your current commitments.
Who is it for? Experienced bookkeepers wanting to progress their skillset
Qualification AAT Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping (Level 3)
Location Online Learning
Duration Tutoring: 6 months Typical duration: 5 months
What is the AAT Bookkeeping Level 3 course?
The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) are the UK’s awarding body for skills-based accounting and bookkeeping qualifications, which are respected worldwide as a high standard of students’ skills and capabilities.
If you’re looking to improve your bookkeeping skills to a higher level, the AAT Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping (Level 3) will complete the AAT Bookkeeping pathway. You’ll master advanced concepts and train for more complex situations you may encounter in a bookkeeping role. Once you’ve passed your online Bookkeeping Level 3 course you’ll be eligible for AAT Bookkeeper (AATQB) status, and will have the option of progressing on to the AAT Accountancy pathway.
All our AAT courses now come with a free Xero Advisor Certification short course. Learn the basics of this industry-leading online accounting software and improve your employability even further. With a 61% increase in the past year of accountancy job listings requiring knowledge of Xero in the specification, you can get ahead of the competition with this bonus qualification!
Enrol now and receive a 12 month AAT subscription worth £44 for free.
At AVADO, we create inspiring learning experiences that are all about your success. With our 26 years’ experience and award-winning learning design, we have grown into the UK’s most chosen online AAT course provider.
Chosen by students, chosen by AAT
Not only do more students pass online AAT qualifications with us than any other training provider, but we were also awarded Distance Learning Provider of the Year at the AAT Training Provider Awards 2018.
An online platform built around you
Designed to work on your mobile and featuring bite-sized content so that you can learn as you go. Learn at your own pace but with structured milestones to keep you on track.
Going the extra mile for employability
With AVADO you don’t just get a highly-respected AAT qualification; we also give you a free Xero Advisor Certification to build your practical skills with online accounting software.
Great teachers and inspiring content
Your own dedicated tutor, hand-picked for their expertise, is available by phone or email. Access a range of engaging content including videos, quizzes and live classes.
Support every step of the way as you learn with others
Your tutor and community team are here for you whenever you need them. And, because you learn online with other students, you’ll never be short of inspiration and motivation!
Affordable price plans
Payment packages to suit your budget with a flexible range of interest-free monthly instalment options. Click here for full terms and conditions.
What is included with the AAT Bookkeeping Level 3 qualification?
Your course includes everything you need to succeed:
- 24-hour access to your online campus, accessible on mobile and tablet
- Course textbooks for each unit (hard copy and online)
- Xero Advisor certification short course for learning the basics of Xero online accounting software
- Dedicated tutor and community team to support you throughout the course
- Regular online live classes with your tutor and classmates
- Revision classes, assignment marking and feedback to help you improve
- Free TOTUM card – the definitive student discount card with a range of exclusive discounts
- Free 12-month AAT Subscription (required to sit exams) worth £44
We believe you shouldn’t have to pay extra essentials like revision and assignment marking. That’s why we include everything above in the price. The only additional costs are your exam fees, which you are required to pay directly to the AAT.
Prerequisites for the AAT Bookkeeping Level 3 qualification
An AAT Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping (Level 2) or other recognised Level 2 bookkeeping qualification is essential. We also recommend that you have GCSE level qualifications in English and Maths, but it is not essential.
In addition, the following entry requirements apply:
- You must be over the age of 18 or have a third-party payee for any financial agreement
- You must have a solid grasp of the English language (IELTS 5.5 or equivalent if English is not your first language)
- You must have access to a computer or other internet enabled device and a reliable internet connection, plus basic computer skills
- You must be able to attend all exams at an AAT Approved centre. Students outside the UK will incur an additional cost for international postage of textbooks
Career path for the AAT Bookkeeping Level 3 qualification
AAT Bookkeeping Level 3 will teach you more advanced bookkeeping functions, which will allow you to take on further responsibility either in your current role or a new one. Having this qualification on your CV will show employers that as well as being highly knowledgeable about the bookkeeping function, you are also committed to the profession.
This course completes the AAT Bookkeeping pathway and will allow you to apply for AAT Bookkeeper (AATQB) status. This will allow you to work as a respected freelance Bookkeeper, charging by the hour for your services.
Completing AAT Bookkeeping qualifications will also give you exemptions from the relevant bookkeeping units of the AAT Accountancy pathway, meaning you’ll have a fast track route into the accountancy profession if you choose to progress your career even further.
Here are a couple of roles you’ll be eligible for after gaining this qualification:
*Average UK salary data from Totaljobs Salary Checker, April 2017
The AAT Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping (Advanced) will teach you more complex and advanced bookkeeping concepts and skills. You’ll also continue learning about spreadsheets and other software that will be useful in a bookkeeping role. Topics covered include depreciation calculations and financial statements.
We translate the syllabus that the AAT sets into a combination of activities, classes, and other content to ensure you get the best learning experience possible. During the course you will take three computer-based assessments, which will be held at an approved exam centre.
The AAT Bookkeeping Level 3 qualification consists of three units:
1. Advanced Bookkeeping
Be able to use a sub-divided accounting system to prepare trial balances and reconciliations, comprise the valuation of inventory, prepare accounts for irrecoverable debts and understand the disposal of non-current assets.
- Principles of advanced double-entry bookkeeping
- Procedures for the acquisition and disposal of non-current assets
- Depreciation calculations
- Period-end adjustments
- Producing and extending the trial balance
2. Final Accounts Preparation
Understand the key differences between preparing accounts for a limited company and a sole trader. Learn how to prepare accounts for different business types, record changes in the structure of a partnership and prepare final accounts from incomplete records.
- The financial recording and reporting requirements of different types of organisation
- Final accounts and the accounting and ethical principles underlying their preparation
- Preparing accounting records from incomplete information
- Accounts for sole traders
- Accounts for partnerships
3. Indirect Tax
Discover further elements to VAT legislation governing costs and learn how to prepare a VAT tax return.
- VAT legislation requirements
- Completing VAT returns and submitting them in a timely manner
- Understanding the implications for the business of errors, omissions and late filing and payment
- Reporting VAT-related information within the organisation in accordance with regulatory and organisational requirement
Also included in your course is a free Xero Advisor Certification short course. You will learn the basics of using Xero’s cloud-based accounting software, giving your CV another edge in a competitive job market.
Key course information:
- Accredited by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
- Level 3 qualification – comparable to an A level qualification
- Three computer-based exams taken at an external test centre
- Typically complete in around 7 months
- Free Xero Advisor certification
If you are funding your own studies, you can pay in full immediately or split your course fees over two or three instalments at no extra charge.
We can now offer you 0% finance on payment plans of up to 12 months, letting you spread the cost of your course without incurring any additional charges.*
You can also apply for our 24, 36, or 48-month payment plans offered by our finance provider Omni Capital*, with representative APR 12.9%. Take a look at a representative APR Example or enquire now and speak to one of our Course Advisors.
We can also work with you to build a business case to apply for employer funding and can even speak to your company directly if you’d like. For more information, give one of our Course Advisors a call.
*Click here for more representative examples and for full terms and conditions.
“AVADO take the “distant” out of distance learning. They provide high levels of support and receive strong student engagement as a result, while they encourage progression through the entire AAT qualification.”
Nicky Fisher, AAT Past President
“This course has that structure and pace that is manageable and most importantly keeps me constantly engaged. I like that you can easily contact the tutor by phone or email and talk to classmates on the student forum giving each other tips and encouraging each other to push through.”
Sarah Eve Tucker, AAT Graduate